Open vs Enclosed car shipping – main differences explained.
Shipping a car can be complicated and confusing for people already overwhelmed by the rest of the moving process. Getting a vehicle shipped is becoming a prevalent practice, especially for those purchasing from a distance, moving out of state or for people who relocate seasonally. But there is quite a lot that you need to know when it comes to shipping a vehicle before you sign on with the carrier. One of the most important decisions you must make is how to ship your car. There are lots of different terms to understand and research along the way. A couple of those terms include open transport and enclosed transport. These are the two popular shipment methods, and we shall decode them so you can understand which method is best for your situation.
What is open car shipping?
Open car shipping involves shipping vehicles on an open trailer. The odds are that you’ve seen these trailers on the road before. They are open on the sides and can transport multiple cars simultaneously. Some of these trailers are double-deckers that can transport up to ten cars depending on size and weight variations.
Some of the pros of open car shipping include:
- Cheaper costs
- Greater availability
- Faster service
- Some of the cons of open car shipping include:
- No protection from the elements
- Decreased security while on the road
- Car will likely arrive dirty
What is enclosed car shipping?
In enclosed car shipping, vehicles are shipped in a closed container. These trailers are entirely sealed, and you cannot see what is inside. Many of these trailers are designed to transport a single car or a few at a time.
- Some of the pros of enclosed car shipping include:
- Completely protected from the elements
- Improved security measures
- More personalised service options
- Some of the cons of enclosed car shipping include:
- Higher costs
- Limited availability
- Longer shipping timeframes
Which is better?
As you can see, open and enclosed car shipping have their advantages and disadvantages. So how do you know which one is right for you? There are certain factors that you should take into account before deciding on the kind of shipping.
- Cost: Open car shipping is the more affordable option of the two.
- Convenience: Enclosed shipping provides more convenience is because you pay more for certain services
- Speed: If the time frame is less then open shipping is the more convenient option.
- Weather: If you expect bad weather, close shipping is the way to go if you don’t want your consignment to get spoiled.